Travis Scott has announced his upcoming “Utopia” tour, which will kick off in Charlotte, North Carolina on October 11, 2023. The tour will make stops in major cities across the United States, including Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago, and New York City, before wrapping up in Toronto on December 29.
Tickets for the tour go on sale this Thursday, August 31 at 10am local time at travisscott.com.
The “UTOPIA – Circus Maximus” tour is in support of Scott’s latest album, “Utopia”, which was released on July 28. The album debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 chart, and has remained atop the charts for four consecutive weeks, becoming the second rap album this decade to top the Billboard 200 for its first four weeks since Drake’s Scorpion in 2018.
Recently, the album earned a new milestone by achieving the highest vinyl LP sales for a rap album. Chart Data reported UTOPIA achieved “the biggest vinyl sales week for a rap album in Nielsen history,” with a sale of 93,000 copies, surpassing its own record in the process.
The tour announcement comes after Scott’s controversial performance at Rome’s historic Circus Maximus earlier this month. The event, attended by a crowd of over 50,000 enthusiastic fans reportedly left approximately 60 people needing medical treatment after someone sprayed pepper spray into the concert crowd. A 14-year-old was also hospitalised after falling from a four-metre height. He had tried to enter the Circus Maximus to watch the show, and had attempted to elude security.
Following the euphoria and commotion at the ancient Roman chariot-racing and entertainment venue, Alfonsina Russo, director of the head of the Colosseum Archeological Park, called for an end to performances at the Circus Maximus.
“The Circus Maximus is a monument. It is not a stadium, not a concert hall,” she told Italian news service AGI. “These mega rock concerts put it at risk, including the Palatine Hill nearby,” she said.
“Rock concerts should be held in stadiums so as not to endanger public safety.”
The “Utopia” tour is also Scott’s first major tour since the Astroworld tragedy in November 2021, which resulted in the deaths of 10 people and injuries to hundreds more. Scott has been criticized for his handling of the event, but he has since apologized and pledged to make changes to his live shows.
Although a Texas grand jury on June 29 absorbed Scott of all the charges tabled against him, the 32-year old Sicko Mode creator is still facing some civil lawsuits in Houston. The rapper has notably avoided the city in his upcoming tour.