Matthew Perry’s cause of death was attributed to “the acute effects of ketamine,” according to a newly released toxicology report from the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner’s Office.
Perry, who had openly battled depression and anxiety for years, had undergone ketamine infusion therapy a week and a half prior to his death. However, the report states that the ketamine found in his system at the time of his death “could not be from that infusion therapy, since ketamine’s half-life is three to four hours, or less.”
The Medical Examiner, per TMZ determined that the ketamine caused both cardiovascular overstimulation and respiratory depression, ultimately leading to Perry’s death. Notably, no evidence of other substances like alcohol, cocaine, or heroin was found.
Contributing factors to the death also included drowning, pre-existing coronary artery disease, and the effects of buprenorphine, a medication used to treat opioid addiction.
Intriguingly, the report reveals that the Friends star had been receiving regular ketamine infusions every other day before a new doctor reduced the frequency six months before his passing, deeming it no longer necessary. However, it doesn’t specify the exact frequency of treatment in the months leading up to his death.
Recall, Perry, 54, was found unresponsive in his jacuzzi on October 28th after playing pickleball for two hours at a nearby club. First responders arrived on the scene following a cardiac arrest call, but he was pronounced dead, with the apparent cause of death being drowning.
While open about his past struggles with addiction, no illegal drugs were found at Perry’s residence.
As previously reported, Perry had been enjoying a positive period in the months leading up to his death. He had committed to a new film project and was settling into a new home, just three weeks before his untimely passing.
Perry’s death sent shockwaves through Hollywood, with fellow celebrities and fans offering heartfelt tributes and condolences.